Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Metal Monthly Interview with Chris Jordan



METAL MONTHLY: So how are ya, Chris?

CHRIS JORDAN: I’m great, how about yourself?

MM: It’s good to hear the real you!

CJ: Yeah, we can both put a face to the MYSPACE page, huh! I’m thrilled to be talkin to ya.

MM: Sorry to make you work on your day off, Chris….

CJ: Oh, that’s okay. For you, no problem.

MM: Aww, thank you, Chris, I really appreciate that! You actually started recording the new MISS CRAZY (MC) CD 2 days ago, but let’s back up for a minute. Please fill us in on the week prior, of “pre-production”:

CJ: Well, um, I flew in last Sunday and basically, brought a few knick-knacks and favorite pieces of equipment…nothing too big; there was a kit waiting here for me. With just sticks and practice pads, we got right to work in Markus’ room. Some areas were left vague, for when we go into the studio. A lot of it is just by feeling, but I think some of the best stuff is made like that.

MM: …Hmm, sounds very intuitive:

CJ: Yes. There’s a real chemistry there. He (Markus) and I are from the same school; we speak the same language. It wasn’t too hard at all to figure out what to do.

MM: So what is the goal of the new era, “MISS CRAZY II”?

CJ: We want to make “Can’t Get Enough” -- on steroids! I mean, especially…you know, I’m walking into something with a set formula. We’re just gonna do it even better this time.

MM: Do you feel like you’re pushing yourselves as artists?

CJ: Oh yeah! We’re taking it to the next level, another few notches up. We’ll keep trying to out-do the last thing; keep trying to out-do ourselves.

MM: It sounds like you and Markus hit it off with a good personal, and professional, chemistry then?

CJ: That’s right. I think it’s gonna be a very successful partnership. I’m excited!

MM: So, what’s the story behind how you and Markus/MC hooked up?

CJ: Here we go! Hope ya got a little time on your hands!….Well, it was this past summer at a music festival in Seattle, called HEMPFEST. I had reunited with my former band so that we could play on the first day of that event. During the other days, I was just walking around, checking out the different acts. That’s when I saw MC perform…and of course, they were awesome! I also got a look at their backstage workings, and liked what they were doing.…It was definitely a case of being at the right place at the right time! At that point they were aware of my interest and availability, and I was aware of them. When I got back to Austin, I sent them a message through MYSPACE complimenting them on a great gig.
I had already left my former band mates, and moved to Austin, only 6 months before that. I was kinda putting myself out there already; looking for studio work, touring….It’s kind of ironic to think that if I hadn’t teamed up with my former band to play at HF, I probably wouldn’t be in MC right now….It’s like, well, like fate.

MM: Maybe even “destiny”?

CJ: That’s no joke. A lot of people talk about that like it never happens. It seemed so meant to be that we had to look into it further. So far, it’s like we’ve known each other for a very long time.

MM: This seems like it might be a long-term gig for you, Chris?

CJ: Yeah. At this early stage, with everything looking the way that it does, it gets even more exciting as to how it’s gonna be a year from now…2, 3, or 4 years down the line, even. It’s pretty amazing!

MM: Sounds like it! Knowing that you’ve had to hit the ground running, I was also wondering if you’ve even had the chance to meet the other new members?

CJ: Up here, in San Jose for recording, will be the first time. I’ve had my head buried in studio work, but on January 18th, we’ll have our first photo shoot together. At that point, we’ll have a chance to spend some real quality time, getting to know each other. I’ve talked to all of them on the phone, and everyone’s been great. Everyone’s on the same page, and in it for the right reasons; there are no false pretenses about coming on-board. We’ve got people who really want to be a part of this new era called, “MISS CRAZY II”.

MM: Okay, let’s go back for a moment; we’ve heard how you joined MC; but, what do you know about Brandi Lee’s (bassist) back-story?

CJ: Through a mutual friend and the powers of MYSPACE, Brandi and I started talking. It went well so, I spoke to Markus, and turned it over to him. Brandi flew out for them to meet, and they clicked real well; Markus was very happy with her….It’s been a unique process of how all of these outside people have come together to form the new band; most people don’t work that way. But you know, this is a real coming together of people who all want the same thing.

MM: Sometimes it’s not easy facing such loyal fans as a new member, is it?

CJ: Yeah, there’s a lot to prove. This band has gotten a lot of people really excited. I’m sure that everyone’s expectations are high.

MM: As of January 13th, has it only been you and Markus in the studio?

CJ: Yes, so far. We’ve just been laying down the drum tracks, the foundation. Everyone else will come in at their separately scheduled times to sprinkle their magic on top…and do what they do best.

MM: Is that the typical order for MC’s studio recording?

CJ: Yes, we do drums first, then bass, then guitar; the rest is cake.

MM: In terms of pulling out all the stops, didn’t you promise some double-bass drumming on the new cd?

CJ: Oh, gosh yes!! Yes, yes! There’s lots of that stuff; everything that is Rock. Lots of double-kick; big choruses; big anthemic, put-your-fist-in-the-air, scream-and-shout, Rock; it’s everything; it’s big arena rock; everything we grew up on and loved; and, it’s gonna be all wrapped up in a pretty little gift with a bow on it!!! You’re gonna get all of that. Nobody’s gonna say, ’oh I wish they woulda’…we’re covering all the bases.

MM: So Chris, it sounds like your buddy Markus might be a perfectionist? Ha!

CJ: Yeah, definitely. But, that’s the way you gotta be. I’m never completely satisfied. I always think you can do better. But then, there’s also a certain point where you gotta know when to let go and just say…it is what it is. You can try to capture it as perfect as can be, but there’s also a lot of “feel” involved. You could be perfect, and still not get it across to the audience. --Ask anyone who’s done recording, it can be tedious….

MM: Oh that Markus, I bet he can be a slave-driver, huh Chris? Haha!

CJ: Yeah, it’s a drive. There’s definitely a drive there. You don’t want to settle for second best. This is probably one of the reasons why we work so well together. When I saw them perform back in August, I was on the lookout for someone who can be a true leader, a great lyricist, a great front person…and I saw that in Markus. One person is the motor and the other is the captain, who steers; and one needs the other. And you know, he’s working great with me. It comes with maturity; we both need each other to play for the song; we both put ego in the backseat, and then, we do whatever makes the song its best.

MM: Also in terms of leadership, did Markus being a couple years younger than yourself ever concern you?

CJ: No, not at all; it’s only a couple years…plus, we come from the same school; we both came up from the trenches of club bands, and learned a lot from those years.

MM: Would you say that Markus wears a lot of different hats for MC; that he is multi-talented?

CJ: He sure is, and I love that! He’s a very talented cat. I love it! That’s what I was looking for, and what you need in a leader.

MM: So, the-drummer-Chris, tell me what other tricks you’ve got in your bag?

CJ: Well, as they pertain to music, haha!!!….I’ve got a lot of tricks in my bag! I really try to get inside of the songwriter’s head, almost like ESP. I wanna see where they’re goin with it; how they’re actually feeling. I wanna know what a song means; knowing the story that’s being told is very important to me. That’s where the arrangements and the beats come from…it’s like finding a heartbeat. As the mood changes throughout a song, I play accordingly. I deliver the mood; that’s where I fit in.

MM: Would you compare the experience, at all, to tapping into something at a higher level; almost like songwriting as “channeling”?

CJ: Yeah…that’s a pretty deep concept…you could definitely say that.

MM: So we got the scoop on Brandi earlier…who, by the way, was kind enough to submit a special question for your interview! Brandi would like to know: Who is your favorite bass player? BESIDES HER, Chris! No brown-nosing allowed here, sorry, haha….

CJ: Oh, okay! Yeah, well!! She’s kinda quirky; she's really funny! Brandi’s a lot of fun!….Okay. So I dig as my favorite bass player, Bob Daisley from the old Ozzy stuff; he is just amazing, the way he plays….But in terms of showmanship, I’d have to say, Nikki Sixx. What he does is simple, but very effective; he has the big picture in mind, and sticks to it.

MM: Some are saying that the “Heroin Diaries” soundtrack is the best performance of Nikki Sixx‘s career; would you agree, then?

CJ: Actually, I think it was on the Motley Crue album with John Corabi. That’s where Nikki really broke out of his shell. It was dismissed because it lacked the original line-up, but if you take a listen back….I think that’s where Nikki’s doing his best, strongest playing.

MM: Do you wear your make-up around the house?

CJ: (*BIG LAUGH*)…Only if they want me to! I do take requests, I do take requests!!!

MM: Be honest, though, is it actually comfortable to wear, non-irritating, and such?

CJ: It’s like a second skin. I don’t think I even look that different, just paler! It’s an extension of our personalities…and there were no rules about how it had to look; each member feels it out for themselves; each person comes up with their own unique look…you can see that’s been the case with past members too.

MM: What about falling asleep with it on; has that ever happened?

CJ: No, but it is easy to forget it’s on and then all of a sudden, you’re wondering why there’s white stuff all over….I did forget to take it off before getting in the shower once, does that count! What a mess….Maybe I’ll forget it’s on someday and go walk the dog or something!!! They have such a big opinion of me already; I’m like the Edward Scissorhands of our neighborhood….the make-up would cap it all off!

MM: Well, you must be doing something right! Thank you so much for this interview. Please enjoy the rest of your afternoon off!

No comments: